Please note we will always be 1 month behind as Rep Council needs to vote to approve minutes at the next months meeting.
ROCKLAND COUNTY BOCES STAFF ASSOCIATION
Representative Council Meeting- January 10, 2013
Cheryl Benesch, Joseph Bianchi, Bridget Bredin, Tim Brown, Erik Buckely, Shirley Clay, Chris Conti, Kathleen Conti, Lisa Covati, Kevin Connell, Dawn DeLeo, Brian Desmond Alt (A), Jamie Fleisher, Carol Frankel, Steve Gaffin (A), Katherine Glade, John James (a), Robin Jones (a), Jason Kahn (a), Eric Kurz, Lynn Kane (A), Debbie Kydon, Marcelle Mase, Sue Melcer, Linda Menegaux, Karen Michelson, Susan Norfleet, Jackie Pardy, Nichole Perna, Brian Powers Alt(A), Breda Purdy, Lisa Raspanti (a), Catherine Rios, Joyce Rothstein, Phil Rucker, Jeff Schragenheim, Evan Seidel, Rich Siddi, Elena Temple, Joyce Tigue, Patricia Tofallos, Lilybeth Torres, Patti Trout, Mary Vail, Randi Welsh, Mary Pat Wolff
President- Debbie Kydon Vice President- Tim Brown Secretary- Lilybeth Torres Treasurer- Shirley Clay
Grievance- Patti Trout Negotiations- Chris Conti Budget- Shirley Clay Membership-Robin Jones Public Relations- Breda Purdy Health and Safety-Eric Kurz End-of-Year Party and Sick Bank-Lilybeth Torres and Susan Melcer Rockland Teacher's Center Rep and Constitution-Tim Brown Central Labor Council and Political Action-Kevin Connell- LAP- Susan Melcer Technology/Website- Patrick Mitrione Newsletter-Jason Kahn
Meeting called to order at 3:38 pm by Debbie Kydon
• PUBLIC COMMENTS:
• No Public Comments
• SECRETARY'S REPORT:
• Minutes- November minutes were approved with the suggested changes and will post on the website.
• Lilybeth Torres made motion to accept; Breda Purdy seconded motion. Motion Passed
• Web Site
• Web Site Postings-please email information to Pat Mitrione firstname.lastname@example.org
• Website: http://locals.nysut.org/rocklandboces/
• VICE PRESIDENT'S REPORT
• A motion to add Jeff Schragenheim to the Constitutional Committee was made by Tim and seconded by Breda. Motion passed.
• TREASURER'S REPORT:
• December's budget was read; for further information please see building rep.
• A motion to transfer $5.00 from a market money account was made by Breda Purdy, seconded by Tim Brown, motion passed.
• GRIEVANCE REPORT:
• Filed a personal day grievance for the entire staff
• NEGOTIATIONS REPORT:
• Chris Conti discussed the contact survey results.
• For further information about the results please contact your building rep.
• Site visits
• Chris along with the negotiation team visited three sites to talk about the member contract concerns.
• Two additional meetings will be held.
• POLITICAL ACTION REPORT:
• A phone bank date will be set for some time in January.
• Vote/Cope contributions were deducted.
• If you would like to contribute more, please write a check to Vote/Cope and send it to Kevin.
• If you have any question regarding vote cope please contact Kevin at DenKev5@aol.com
• CENTRAL LABOR COUNCIL REPORT:
• CLC will need to show a stronger presence with the political figures.
• The council plans on awarding scholarships to high school students in the amount of $200.
• Baseball night – targeted for the first Friday night in May or June. More information to follow.
• TECHNOLOGY REPORT:
• No Report
• ROCKLAND TEACHER CENTER REPORT:
• Working on new initiatives.
• SICK BANK:
• No meetings were held in December.
• HEALTH & SAFETY COMMITTEE:
• No report
• Protocol for reporting a Health and Safety issue-First let the supervisor know about the situation. If not resolved, let Eric Kurz know via email email@example.com
• PUBLIC RELATIONS COMMITTEE:
• Food Drive
• January 16th, BOCES staff association sponsored food drive kick off
• Shoprite dates for the food drive are yet to be confirmed.
• March 10th from 11 am – 4 pm
• Volunteers are needed
• There will be 5 booths this year
• C-TEC and BOCES Staff Association
• Carpentry and Electrical will all be doing demos.
• There will be games, arts and crafts, blood pressure will be taken, nails will be done etc.
• For further information please contact Breda.
• The coat drive is currently on
• We will be collecting hats, coats gloves.
• Last collection day is Thursday January 10th
• So far 53 coats were donated. Breda will be picking up an additional 30 more coats.
• Toy Drive
• Over 370 toys were collected for Toys for Rockland
• Thank you to C-tech Hospitality students and staff for joining our campaign.
• Toy drive for Rockland families.
• MEMBERSHIP REPORT:
• Report read by Debbie Kydon
• 598 members; 276 full dues, 115 ¾ dues, 47 split dues, 138 ½ dues
• 19 BSA members are not registered with NYSUT
• There will be an increase in union contributions
• NYSUT will increase $9.00
• AFT will increase $19.00
• If you have any questions regarding your membership please contact Robin at firstname.lastname@example.org
• LAP REPORT:
• Lap application is completed.
• A lot of hours out into the application along with many revisions made.
• The application is being sent to Sue C. for a final review.
• BUILDING REPORTS:
• There are concerns about using ABBLS as goals without staff training.
• Everything is being handled internally
• Overwhelmed with work:
• Administration continues to provide different due dates for reports.
• Everything is being handled internally
• Handling things internally
• Everything is ok.
• Hilltop @ Neary
• Issues are being held internally.
• Building is reviewing safety protocol.
• No building report.
• Elementary IDT
• Working on things internally.
• Building is reviewing Safety Protocols
• River View
• Everything is ok.
• Building is reviewing safety protocols
• Tappan Zee HS
• PRESIDENT'S REPORT:
• Members in need of SCIP training should contact their administrator and Judy Mucci immediately as training is scheduled for January 14th-23rd.
• January 16th is the deadline for East Ramapo to respond to the Commissioner's directive. Any new information will be disseminated ASAP.
• NYSUT sent a letter to local Presidents to encourage members to continue to participate in the Tell It Like IT is campaign rather than the Carol Burris petition to Governor Cuomo as it is more closely aligned with our goals.
• December 14th-Attended a meeting with BSA, CSEA and Central Administration to discuss East Ramapo's payment status
• December 17th- Reconvened to discuss East Ramapo's payment status.
• December 18th – Assisted staff member in meeting with District based Administrator.
• December 18th- Attended LAP application meeting with Sue Melcer, Kevin Connell and Jason Kahn.
• December 21st- Attended update meeting on East Ramapo's payment status.
• December 27th- Attended LAP application meeting with Sue Melcer, Kevin Connell and Jason Kahn
• December 28th – LAP team met to continue application process.
• January 2nd- Attended a meeting to discuss East Ramapo's payment status and to initiate plans to mobilize the staff, parents and community.
• January 3rd- Met with Ana and Amy to discuss new staff training. TA posting and substitutes in open positions.
• January 3rd – Reconvened to review mobilization and implantation plan to focus attention on East Ramapo's debt.
• January 7th- Attended morning and evening informational sessions with community members and families to discuss East Ramapo's lack of payment and the possible impact on BOCES. PTA's encouraged parents to mobilize and assist in bringing this conflict to a positive resolution.
• January 7th – LAP team met to finalize the application to be submitted for approval.
• January 9th – Attended RCTA meeting.
• January 9th – Attended Board Meeting.
• OLD BUSINESS
• There are members who have not signed the confidential forms, please see Lilybeth for your names.
• A motion to add Cathy Rios and Karen Michelson to the Public Relations was made by Debbie Kydon and seconded by Tim Brown. Motion Passed
• A motion to add Erik Buckley to the Political Action committee was made by Debbie Kydon and Seconded by Tim Brown. Motion passed.
• LAP committee will be scheduling another meeting to address application.
• NEW BUSINESS
• There was an increase in mileage. It is now 0.565
• Calendar days-
• If there is a snow day we will have to make days up to cover the time off.
• District based staff- if the district changed their days, and you planned a trip you must show proof of payment of tickets before the Hurricane; with this proof you can use your personal days to take the time off.
• Discussion about Sandy make up days discussed. BOCES needs to wait for individual district to present their plans before deciding.
Meeting adjourned at 4:42pm by Debbie Kydon:
Lilybeth Torres, Secretary