||Gates Chili Teachers' Association
||New York State United Teachers
||American Federation of Teachers
|New Teachers Salary in Gates Chili
|Highest Teacher Salary on Step Schedule in Gates Chili
|Superintendent of Schools
Significant Union Events
A two- year contract for 1977-1978 and 1978-1979 was approved and ratified.
Significant Contract Changes
- Negotiations Procedures-replacement of non-discriminatory provisions with
statement regarding good-faith bargaining.
- Association Rights-addition of new article replacing school and facilities
use clauses in Negotiations Article, language permits use of school buildings
and district mail system by Association to hold meetings and communicate
with members, language also prohibits discrimination of any teacher
by reason of his membership in the Association.
- Length of Day-article is separated from Length of Year, language provides
150 minutes per week for individual and/or team planning.
- Length of Year-article previously included with Length of Day, defines
school year as 185 days, language added to shorten the last two days of
school to half-day sessions if all 180 required days are met.
- Class Size-elimination of class size guidelines for High School electives.
- Promotional Vacancies-previously Professional Vacancies, change language
from "professional vacancy" to "Administrative/Supervisory
- Sick Leave- language changed to 11 sick days per year with no minimum
- Death in the Family- "family" expanded to include brothers and
sisters-in-law and grandchildren.
- Extraordinary Leave of Absence-language expanded to include procedures
for emergency situations which preclude the 3-day notice provision.
- Pregnancy and Child-Rearing Leave-previously Maternity Leave, change in
language granting leave at the teacher's option for one or two full semesters
beyond the semester that the leave begins, additional language permitting
the teacher to continue in the district's health insurance plan at the teacher's
- Adoption Leave-change in language for the purpose of adopting a child
of "less than school age".
- Sabbatical Leave of Absence-change in language to permit a maximum of
one and one-half percent of teachers be granted leaves in any one
year, change in application deadline to February 1 for all sabbaticals,
addition of language requiring Administration to notify all sabbatical applicants
prior to March 15.
- Health Insurance-change in language to district payment of 95% of Blue
Cross/Blue Shield and 100% of Major Medical for all employees hired before
7/1/77, new teachers will pay 40% of their Health Insurance in their first
year of employment, 20% of their Health Insurance in their second year of
employment, and the same portion as other pre 7/1/77 employees in their
third and subsequent years of employment. Non-coverage of any employee who
receives coverage under any other means or policy. Drug Prescription rider
to be provided at 50% of cost.
- Curriculum Work-change in language to a flat rate per day for all employees
during the summer only for a six-hour work day exclusive of lunch.
- Employment of Certified Teachers-language changed so that only certified
candidates will be hired to fill teaching vacancies.
- Salaries for Physical Education Centered Activities-language changed so
that pay for these activities is no longer a flat amount, but a percentage
of $10,084 based on experience increments. Additional language to address
coaches transferring from a different school district, or from one sport
to another. Additional language to give priority to GC personnel when filling
coaching vacancies. Additional language for monetary compensation to coaches
with scouting responsibilities.
- Salaries for Co-curricular And Other Activities- additional positions
for two advisors for each high school class, addition of Ski Club Advisors.
- Fair Dismissal-addition of language reflecting Education Laws 3013 and
3020A. Addition of language providing opportunities for the employee to
seek further information and providing the employee with a reasonable period
of time to improve.
- Transfers (new article previously included under Teacher Assignment)-language
includes procedures for an employee to request a transfer of position within
the same tenure area.
- Media Center Aides-this article was removed from the contract
- Released time for Delegates-new language was added to include released
time for AFT delegates.
- Parent Conferences (formerly Released Time for Parent Conferences)-new
language eliminated compensatory time and established provisions for a school
day, determined by the Superintendent of Schools, during which the students
would not be in attendance that would be for the purpose of meeting with
- Guidance Counselors-new article requiring Administration to notify guidance
counselors of anticipated plan of summer work assignments prior to June
1 of each year.
- Agency Fee-new article describing procedure for deducting agency fees
for non-members of the Association.
- Student Supervision-new article directing Administration to form a committee
to review alleged student supervision problems in either the Junior or Senior
- Number of Preparations-new article recommending a limit of 3 preps per
teacher at the High School
- Lesson Plans-new article with language for specific requirements for teachers
around the area of lesson plan writing and lesson plan books.
- Service Increment-new article including monetary incentives for service
longevity at 15 years, 20 years, 25 years, and 30 years. Salary increments
were also determined for acquiring a Master's Degree or a Doctoral Degree.